Advertisement

Thursday, December 3, 2009

No Rhyme or Reason with Alzheimer's

There is no "figuring out" Alzheimer's. Once you think you have, things change.

Our water comes from a well so we need to watch the amount of water we use. Plus, as a concern for our planet, we try to conserve water.

Sometimes Pat forgets she went to the bathroom so she will go in 5 or 6 times before bed. We have told her a hundred times not to flush when she just goes pee, but she always does. It's not her fault that she doesn't remember. To help her, Mark made a sign that read: Don't flush when you pee.

As harmless as this sign was, it created a world of problems. She got incredibly confused, and everytime she went in to the bathroom, she would come back out and ask what she was supposed to do. Finally I removed the sign.

I thought removing the sign would make things go back to normal, but she rememberd that sign! This morning she was very upset because she thought we were against her and didn't want her to go to the bathroom. We expected her to just forget about the sign, like she does with everything else, but she didn't. There is just no rhyme or reason with Alzheimer's!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christina,

    Just come across your blog and find your posts very thoughtful.

    My mum had vascular dementia - she passed away in 2005 - and my husband was diagnosed with the same in 1999 at the young age of 49 and I am his carer. Luckily?, he is apathetic and also the happiest he as ever been in his life as nothing worries him.

    I am still able to work as he is safe to leave and I work as a Registered Mental Nurse at a Care Home in England. You are right in saying that a smile and a calm approach makes a difference. I can also understand your stress levels.

    I love my job and feel privileged to work there. We regard the residents as our employer and we work for them.

    Kind regards,

    Mags. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mags,
    Thank you so much for your comment. It's always nice to hear feedback on my thoughts.

    I feel for you for having two people subject to this disease family. I am happy for you that your husband is worry free. There are days that Pat is the same way... I love those days!

    Thank you again Mags for your note.

    In my thoughts,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete