Advertisement

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Schedule for Alzheimer's a Challenge

The one struggle we always have with Pat is her sleeping pattern. She tries to go to bed so early and I know part of that is our fault. Things have been stressful, the questions constant and grating on our hearts, and when she wants to go to bed at 7:30, we let her start getting ready. EVERYTHING is a concern lately. Normally I can remove whatever is making her uneasy, but not lately.

Anyway, she goes to bed by 8:30 and then is up at 6:30. I have caught her the past two mornings and sent her back to bed. Her reasoning is more impaired in the wee morning hours and to convince her that I am headed back to bed too is tough. Yesterday I sware the second I shut the door, she sprung from bed and got dressed. Today she stayed in bed for another hour at least.

So, do I continue to make her go back to bed? Or do we all just adjust our schedules? While she doesn't try to leave, cook, or do anything really, I still don't trust her to be up alone. Luckily, Mark is an insomniac so he hears her when she wakes most times.

I guess for now, we will try to keep her more active. Tonight I will try to get her to build a puzzle after supper or to color. And hopefully, tomorrow, she will sleep. You can tell she needs a schedule but when she wakes, she thinks she is supposed to be up... and once that squeaky wheel inside her brain starts turning, you can forget about her sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment